Monday, February 8, 2010

Cow Foot, Cow Stomach and Chicken Intestines...Yum Yum

Hola Familia y Amigos!!!


You´re not going to believe who came to church this week . . . . . . are you ready for this??? FAMILIA BALAREZO!!! BAHHH!! Well, only Hna. Marcia and most of her kids, but it´s a start!! We went to visit her this week during the daytime, taught an amazingly awesome lesson about why you should read the scriptures and pray and she´s been reading, praying and even reading the Liahona!! Cheverissimo!! Her husband is still being a jerk about the church, but she is really persevering. So we asked her if she would come to church this week and she said yes, which could mean yes or no, as you all well know. But we went to get her yesterday and there she was, ready to go with all the kiddos!! Grandma those lifesavers were incredibly useful in calming down Jimmito, until he finished it and wanted another one and I wouldn´t give it to him bc I had told him he had to be good for all the meetings if he wanted another one. But we´ve figured out that we have to take out one at a time so he doesn´t see that there are more. Haha. Anyway, it was incredibly awesome to have them at church, people had been asking about them and we are really excited to see what happens. I feel in my heart that eventually the Hno. will come around, but he might have to hit rock bottom first and that´s never fun. But if it works . . . .

Also, we were slightly worried about Marcos this week bc he didn´t come to church last week and was having all these issues with his knees and his family and then we couldn´t find him to teach him the lessons again all this week. But it turns out that he really was out of town like his sister said (sometimes she lies and tells us he´s not there when he really is), and he was at church this week, got the priesthood and is super excited about blessing the sacrament. Cool.

Anyway, who´s ready for some more good news?? Familia Pino . . . . . IS GETTING BAPTIZED THIS MONTH!!!! After four years of waiting and praying and hoping and being incredibly faithful, Hno. Eduardo finally got his divorce to go through. But, they can´t get married here in Guayaquil because there´s this dumb law that says they have to wait a year, because of the type of divorce that it was. So they´re going to go outside of Guayaquil to get married and then they´re getting baptized right after. YAY!! I´ve never been so excited to hear about a divorce in my life!!

Other than that, this week was pretty mas o menos. My question of the week is: did people in your mission think you were idiots?? Because this week a lot of people have seemed to think that we are. On Saturday we went to Jorge´s house to talk to him, and as we walked up to the door, Hna. Moran saw him through the window. We knocked and some girl showed up at the window and told us he wasn´t there!!! (Although to be fair, it could have been someone else because we both saw him from the back.) But then we went to Carolina´s house and Hna. Morán and I both saw her standing in the kitchen through the door. But then she went out so we knocked and knocked and finally her son came to the door and said, oh she´s not here!! Were were like . . . . are you serious right now?? WE SAW HER STANDING THERE!! But we couldn´t do anything, so we just left. I should add that it was POURING down rain and when I got home I looked like I had just taken a shower with all my clothes on. So I was not very happy that night, but the next day was awesome so I felt a lot better. But I´m starting to think that some people think that "Hermana" means "stupid." Because really, that kind of just blew my mind, especially since it happened twice in a row!! But you just have to deal with it I guess and keep on going.

So we´ve started visiting a couple of less active families in the ward, and now we´re hearing all new excuses for why they don´t want to come to church. Grandma and Grandpa Chamberlain, I got your letter and my companions and I laughed for days over the ones you sent me. We have this one family, Fam. Romero, who has a cute little boy who is 4 years old. We were talking about the Plan of Salvation and temple work and they were like, "oh yeah, I´d really like to do the work for my grandparents and my mother and . . . . . oh but I guess we have to be active huh . . . . " Yes, that would be one of the requirements for having a temple recommend. So then they told us they would come to church and didn´t. But I´m over it. We´re going to keep trying, bc they´re a super cute family and they know it´s true!!

So this is where I put all the weird stuff that happens to me. A couple weeks ago we were eating at the stake president´s house and she brought out a bowl of soup with something that looked like raw chicken in some kind of really thick skin. I had no idea what it was so I just ate it (although I was thinking, Nooooo . . . . they wouldn´t really give us raw chicken right??) It was squishy but not terrible. Then she brought out the main dish which was rice and some kind of meat in a sauce that I thought was chicken but when I put it in my mouth and chewed it was way too squishy to be chicken. But I ate it all because that´s what we have to do and then we left. And this was when my companions informed me that the stuff in my soup was cow foot. And the stuff in the sauce?? Cow stomach. I didn´t really know what to think after that so I just tried not to think about it. I have also eaten chicken intestines, I just remembered. It´s not too bad until you find out what it is. Also, I don´t know what they were thinking, but on Saturday night our downstairs neighbors decided they were going to have a party at TWO O CLOCK IN THE MORNING. They were seriously blasting music from two o clock until around 4 or 5, when the guy across the street decided he wanted to play "anything you can do I can do better" and started playing his music even louder and more obnoxiously. I was like . . . . . WHAT ARE YOU DOING???? WE ARE SLEEPING!!!! Keep in mind that this was the night that it had rained really hard and I was really tired and grouchy bc we had gotten blatantly lied to. We were not very happy missionaries in the morning, but I don´t think the offense of disturbing the peace exists here, so we couldn´t do anything about it. It´s funny now, but at the time I was really mad. Not cool.

Well I can´t think of anything else to say, so chao chao until next week and be good and read your scriptures and by the way, I´m devastated that the colts lost and when I read that I yelled OH NO in the internet cafe and everyone stared at me. It was sad. But it is only football.

MUCHO AMOR!!

Hermana Chamberlain

No comments:

Post a Comment