Monday, March 8, 2010

Put Your Pants on Please!

Hola Familia y Amigos!!


Familia Pino was finally baptized this past Saturday!! It was seriously the best baptism I´ve ever been to. It was the first one I´ve had where nothing bad happened. The Pinos showed up on time, the font was full, we had white clothes for every one involved in the baptism, and half the ward showed up to watch. It was amazing. The Spirit was way way strong. I had to give a short talk and I had no idea what I was going to say, but I ended up talking about miracles, and I´m pretty sure that the Spirit was talking through me because afterwards everyone said it was awesome. During the baptism I knew that the angels in heaven were cheering like crazy, and that Jesus was in that room with us. It was the most amazing feeling ever, I can´t even explain it. They were also confirmed on Sunday and are now fully and legitimately members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. I think this might be the crowning moment of my mission so far. It was so AWESOME.

Something else awesome. Familia Romero, the less active family that we´ve been working with, FINALLY came to church yesterday!! They´re the ones that we´ve been really frustrated, because they´re always talking about how they want to do the temple work for their family and that they´re really sad about all their less active friends, and always give us references, but never come to church. Well yesterday we went to their house to remind them about church and no one came to the door and their car wasn´t there. As we were walking away, I thought, hey maybe they´re already at church!! But I brushed it off as too ridiculous to even consider. Well. Imagine how I repented of this thought when we got to the chapel and saw their car outside. CHEVERISSIMO!! We have a lot of work to do with them still, but I know they´re going to be okay in the end.

We also brought a family to church yesterday in the morning, Familia Pineda. They´re the ones that when we taught the first lesson, I was totally having issues speaking Spanish, until the First Vision. Well they really liked church, but they still haven´t read the Book of Mormon. (It seems like our issues have switched now, we can get people to come to church but we can´t get them to read and pray. Frustrating.) Hno. Roberto is always really attentive and listens really closely to us when we teach, but Hna. Carolina always has to take care of her kids during the lessons so she´s a little less attentive. Plus we can only teach them on the weekends because they both work during the day and come home really really late. But we´ll keep working.

So on Saturday, the day of the baptism, we literally had the weirdest day ever. Seriously so many random/funny/weird things happened to us!! First off, we were walking down a street in Guangala and all of a sudden I stop dead because I´m pretty sure I´ve just seen a live tiger in a window. Closer inspection revealed that it was actually a life sized stuffed tiger (sidenote: I´m still not sure if it was a stuffed animal or a stuffed tiger that had been alive at some point) but it was just so random and funny that I had to get a picture. I seriously thought there was a live tiger in the window, it was so weird!! So then, we´re walking to another appointment, we get to the house and I look in the window and see a silhouette of a man. I think, "hmmm . . . . I don´t think that guy´s wearing pants." Then after a double take I was like "wait . . . . I don´t think that guy´s wearing anything!!" And sure enough, after getting shut down by the lady we were supposed to teach, Hna. Morán, who had apparently gotten a better look, poor thing, told me that he was, in fact, only wearing a pair of briefs and nothing else. It took us a long time to quit laughing at that one. So then we went to visit Christian to try and convince him to come to our baptism that night, (he said no. SHOCKING.) and as we´re leaving, I see a clown riding down the street on a motorcycle. I´m talking clown outfit, clown facepaint, and I didn´t see his shoes but I wouldn´t be surprised if he had the clown shoes too. Now you all know how I feel about clowns, but this was just SO random. How many times do you see a clown on a motorcycle?? And I was the only one that saw him too. So of course I cracked up laughing, and my companions were like, what is so funny?? And every time I thought about it that day I just laughed and laughed. So THEN, we were walking down another street to visit Familia Pineda, and all of a sudden we here someone yelling, "hermanas hermanas!!" We were like, oh cool, someone we know, or someone who wants to hear about the gospel!! So we all turn around and see this guy with no shirt on standing there waving at us. Okay, pretty normal. Lots of people don´t wear shirts here. So Hna. López asked, ¿Quien es? (who is it?) Hna. Morán replied, "No sé, pero tengo miedo" (I don´t know but I´m scared.) Well as soon as she said that I started feeling a little creeped out too. Well, this guy started walking towards us, and as he does so he sticks his hand down the front of his pants. We were like, uhhh . . . . time to go!! and we took off down the street, not exactly running but walking very fast. The whole time I was like, please let us in Fam. Pineda please let us in!! Fortunately they did. After it happened it was pretty funny, but at the time we were pretty creeped out. Fortunately the Lord protected us!! (Remember, all this stuff happened in the same day. So weird.)

Well family, I don´t really know what else to say. It was really super hot this week, we were literally sweating all the time. Like dripping wet sweating. It was super gross. I was sad to hear about Andy York´s death. I remember seeing him when he was sick and on all those steroids, it was so sad. I´m glad he´s free from that pain. Love the story about Jensen and dinosaurs. I need to look for a dinosaur to send him, but it would probably cost me an arm and a leg to send it to him, so he´ll have to wait till I get home to have it. Oh, random thing, the mall that I´m in right now was playing old school gangster rap today while we were eating. It was so funny. Well, be good, work hard, read your scriptures and pray, go to church and always do good things!!

MUCHO AMOR

Hermana Chamberlain

No comments:

Post a Comment