Wednesday, November 11, 2009

I Made It!-9/30/09

Hola familia y amigos!!I made it through my first week at the MTC!! It was pretty nuts. But pretty good too. I live in the LeGrand Richards building on the top floor, and Hermana Galbraith is not in my district (estoy triste!!) Mi compañera es Hermana Mount. She is from Misionviejo, CA and going to Louisville, KY Spanish speaking. She's super awesome, definitely keeps me on track. There are two other Hermanas in my district, Hermana Damm from Redondo Beach, CA and going to Chicago South, and Hermana Yoshino, who is from Japan and is going to Salt Lake City South. She kind of has a tough time sometimes b/c English is her second language, so Spanish will be her third!! They're all super cool though. There are 5 other elderes in my district as well, and two of them will be in Guayaquil with me!! Exciting!! One of them is leaving in 2 weeks for the Dominican Republic MTC though, so we will only have 4 other elderes. SO, the MTC. The first week was pretty good. It was exactly like everyone says it is. Some days I felt awesome and some days I was like, I want to go home right now, I miss my mom!! But for the most part it hasn´t been too bad. The food is . . . . . unpredictable. Hermana Mount and I learned the hard way that the Chinese food es no bueno!! And the orange juice should be drunk in moderation. But if you find the right things to eat, you´ll be okay. Mom, I have already run into Katie Ashby´s brother AND Elder Smith, the guy that the sister missionary from Grandma´s ward told me to look for. Small world!! And dad, the organist for our mission conferences and all of our devotionals has a thing for Barry Manilow key changes. He throws one in at least once or twice during all the hymns, and I think of you and laugh every time. Hermana Mount and I have been getting up early to go to the workout classes in the gym, but today I got up and said, I think I´m going back to bed. It was delightful, I slept in until 6:15 and actually stayed awake during my personal study!! Amazing!!It's incredible here, the Spirit is strong and I've already learned so much Spanish and so much about the gospel and the Atonement, you have no idea. Hermana Mount knows the scriptures so well, she's been taking mission prep since she was 16. So she helps me with that and I help her with her Spanish and pronunciation, and it all works out fantastically. Our teachers are Hermano Barrios, who is from Chile and is a native speaker. He has a really funny accent and I laugh everytime he says the word "wow" because it sounds pretty goofy. But we love him. And Hermano Sears, who served in Chile and is way cool too.So funny story. Hermana Mount and I went to the Referral Center on Sunday and I talked to this lady who had asked for a Book of Mormon. I asked if she got it and she said yes. I asked if she read it and she said sort of. I asked how she felt about it and she was like, oh well I've been sick so I haven't read the whole thing . . . . actually I'm in the bathroom throwing up right now, can you call back later?? We were like ummmm . . . . why did you answer the phone?! Poor lady.So I miss you all and I love you all and I wish I could have packed you all in my suitcases and brought you with me. But don't worry about me, I'm doing the Lord's work and I'll be just fine. I love every single one of you!!!Yo sé que Jesucristo es mi Salvador y mi Redentor. Yo sé que el Libro de Mormon es verdadero y el contiene los escritos de los profetas de la America Antigua. Yo sé que Dios restauró el Evangelio a travéz José Smith, y José Smith fue un profeta. Yo sé que Thomas S. Monson es el profeta en el mundo hoy. Yo sé que el Evangelio es verdadero. Estoy agradecida por mi familia y por el Evangelio. En el nombre de Jesucristo, AMEN!!!

TE AMO!!!
Hermana Chamberlain

No comments:

Post a Comment